Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Email 21 November 2011

Hi guys,
So I read an email from Becky today. As you can imagine, I’m a little shocked. Pretty sad too... Hopefully things work out for the best. Not going to lie, I didn’t really expect that today.
Anyways, about the week... It was actually pretty good. I’ve been really happy with it. It was my last week here in Quiche though. I have changes tomorrow morning. I’ll be going to Toto as expected. My companion will be Elder Ramirez from Peru. I’m pretty excited about the whole thing. I actually get along with Ramirez pretty well. I have heard mixed opinions on the actual area. A guy in my Zone right now actually was there a few months back so he has been giving me a lot of info on it. But yeah, I’ll be there tomorrow! I get to know another big place in the mission :) A guy from my Zone right now that was training with me is actually going to be my Zone Leader too, so we are both pretty excited about that haha.
This past week we did quite a bit of things. We went and visited this one family as we were waiting for the mom to get home; my companion and I had a dodge ball fight with the daughters haha. Except, we used flowers instead of balls. It was legit. It was the most fun I have had with a member family in a while. It was actually the same family I wrote about before. The ones that lived with no power and she told me she was happy because she was poor. You guys might remember, but maybe not... I love them though.
I went to Chichicastenango this past week to try and find some recent converts that hadn’t been ordained to the priesthood. Turned out they were busy though... Luckily Chichi is the second biggest market in Guatemala, so I bought a few things. Dropped some money, if you know what I mean. Mainly just bought things for you guys...but I did buy myself a Mayan chess set. Handmade and everything. I’m just hoping it doesn’t break in my suitcase over these next months.
So the highlight of my week was Saturday. The trip to the temple. We woke up at 4:30 to meet up with everyone in Central Park at 5. We left around 5:30 and got there a little before 8. I did the 2 hour bus ride standing up too.... Killed me basically. I was already tired because I only got 4 hours of sleep due to me preparing pictures for the Cunen members. I actually did get to see all the Cunen people :) That was really awesome. It was hard to say bye again though... They were all pretty excited to see me. They even gave Denison and me 2 breakfast meal thingies haha. It was legit. Anyways, before entering the temple they showed us a movie. We did it by groups... The movie was just about temples in general and the church growth specifically in Quetzaltenango. It was pretty cool. I want a copy of it... After the movie some kids put the little white booties on (barely fit the gringos feet), and then we entered :) It is beautiful.... Soooo beautiful. I was amazed. The baptismal font is by far the prettiest one in the church. I can’t even describe it to be honest. From the pictures I thought the Celestial room was going to be kind of ugly, but wow... That blew me away too. The paintings in the temple are amazing. Especially the two in the font. They are ginormous. It is straight ridiculous. I really just want to go back to be honest... It was an amazing place to be. I really miss temples. I haven’t been to one in some 14 months. Hopefully that changes here soon haha. Right as we were about to leave guess who showed up... Cuque! It was awesome haha. I love that guy. We ended up talking for quite some time. The temple really was amazing though. I still can’t believe how beautiful it is. That font.... Wow. We actually had a lady here in Quiche tell us that the temple was "too nice", that it needs to be more "humble because Christ was born in a manger". She made me mad... haha.
[See more Temple pictures at: Quetzaltenango Temple Open House ]
Yesterday during church there was a general broadcast throughout all of Guatemala from Salt Lake. Some special conference... Elder Clark of the Seventy spoke (he was the guy that always came and talked to our mission). Elder Holland as well. And even President Uchtdorf. Something that I didn’t expect was Holland speaking Spanish. He only started and ended in Spanish. He did his actual talk in English because he said his Spanish was horrible and terrible. Everyone laughed when he said that haha. His Spanish definitely wasn’t great, but I didn’t even know he kind of could speak. Really cool to hear him speak it. They all just talked about the blessings of the temple and such. Trying to get people to prepare themselves to enter. It was pretty neat. After church, I had a jam session with the other Elder here. He played violin and I played the piano. It was awesome... He could just listen to what I played and then just improvise something. So cool... haha.
But yeah... That was my week. It was a good one! I’ll let you guys know more about Toto next week. Hope things end up fine with Becky and hope all else continues to go well. I love you all sooo much. Take care and smile :) Have great weeks.
Love,
Elder Bitner

No comments:

Post a Comment