Monday, April 4, 2011

Email 4 April 2011

Hello peeps.
Things going well? Sure hope so! Well, not much happened this week, so I don’t know how long this email will be. I’ll try to keep it entertaining though.
Well, it all starts with the afternoon of last P-Day. After internet last week, we just walked around... We decided to pass by where we found the Dr. Pepper a few weeks ago. They didn’t have it.... However, they did have Mountain Dew! haha. That made a lot of people happy. I enjoyed it dearly. I still have a can back in Colo waiting for me :) haha. They are supposed to get more tomorrow, but we'll see how true that is.
Later that night same day... We took our bus back to Colo. I sat by two drunks this time. I don’t know what it is, but they really love me for some reason... They sat there and just continually asked if I would pay for them... They kept calling me "amigo". I’m really learning to have patience with drunks, and I really hope that isn’t to prepare me for something in the future.
It did rain a tiny bit one day this week. They were just very spread out, thick drops. It just came at a bad time. It came while we were riding a truck to Ixtahuacán haha. We got hit pretty hard in the face a few times. It was just us two and the kid that takes money, so it wasn’t like we were barely standing on the bumper at least haha. The kid though was laughing at us the whole time because he thought we were mad or something, but we loved it very much haha.
Since it is the month of April - they have some weird traditions around this time here... On Friday, as we were coming home from Ixta, in front of almost every house was a chair. In that chair was a picture of Jesus with a candle in front of it. There were herds of people walking around with very large megaphones screaming complete nonsense. They had statues of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph that they carried around. During the week of Good Friday they do a lot of weird things supposedly. Guys dress up as the "Jews" and then chase another man, "Jesus", until they catch him and then put him on the cross.... I honestly just don’t understand the people at all haha. It seems quite apostate to me. They also had a guy dressed up as a devil running around Colo.
For General Conference, we were able to come down to Huehue. We stayed here for the weekend actually. I haven’t seen Colo in over 3 days. I enjoyed every session of conference. Everything to do with conference better yet. Mainly the biggest thing I took from it was that I have to get married?haha. I have never heard the Prophet machete the young single men so bad for something. Priesthood session was awesome. It had us all laughing because we luckily don’t have to worry about that right now :) I truly am thankful the chance I had to watch conference though. It was great and I loved it... I’m glad the mission has taught me to enjoy it.
So last night we stayed with the Zonies... Had dinner with them at a members and everything. We ate ants. Ants roasted in lime and salt. It was quite strange in all honesty, but I didn’t get sick or feel sick eating it. The ants are huge though. You would have to see and try one to understand. They can only be bought in Colo in the month of May too, so this lady has had them for quite some time which is weird haha.
We also found out something about our area last night from the assistants. They are splitting it... Two more missionaries are coming here. They are going to cover Ical and San Pedro Necta, while Shaw and I have Colo, Ixta, and San Gaspar (where they recently hung a 15 year old and beat him like a piñata for trying to kiss an 11 year old). Shaw and I are not happy to say the least.... Ical had all our work. We have nothing now. However, our other best friend here, Bergesen from Houston, is coming to work there, so it shouldn’t be too bad haha.
Well, that was my week. Things are well... I’m enjoying myself quite a bit. I love the mission. I’m grateful for the choice I made to come. I will never regret this. I love you all and miss you. Have a great week :)
Love,
Elder D.R. Bitner
Ant Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment