Monday, October 17, 2011

Email 17 October 2011

Beloved Family and Friends,
How are all ya? Hopefully well... This past week has been one of my worst to be honest. Probably the worst of my mission in fact. Things like that happen though... You’ll understand why by the end of this email haha. It has been rough, but here I am. Breathing and living. Couldn’t ask for more really.
I said bye to two more people this past week. I hate watching people go home. It is just not fair I guess you could say... haha. Once we were done using internet Monday, we went back to the Zone Leader's house and didn’t leave basically all day. We played "Scum", which is just a card game for those that don’t know. That has turned into our new P-Day thing. Gets intense... We had to go back to Cunen Monday night. That is what happens change week though!
So, we visited the "Bible Basher" on Tuesday... We didn’t have much to do, so we chose to do that. Since he came to church and such the past Sunday, we thought it was a good idea. Things actually went really well there. Got a lot accomplished with him. It went really well surprisingly. He asked us some questions, and we asked some as well since we did go to his church and everything. At the end of the visit he asked us to sing a hymn to close us out. We didn’t have our hymn books, but we did our best to remember a verse from "Nearer My God to Thee". After the prayer, he asked us if we would be willing to sing in his church on Sunday. We agreed to do so, if he came to our church again. We had it planned out and everything, but he didn’t show up in the end. It was sad... He came after church though haha. Said he was sorry he couldn’t make it and asked if we were going to be able to sing still. I straight up told him no. We have plans to go sing there this Sunday now though. Our plan is to sing Nearer My God to Thee in Spanish and then Joseph Smith's First Prayer in English. How legit would it be to sing about Joseph Smith in an evangelical church? It would be amazing... Hope it happens.
Wednesday, things started to get weird. There has been a hurricane passing through Guatemala. It has been weird to say the least haha. Just tons of rain....and I mean tons..... Throughout Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, we received 6 phone calls changing the plans on us. Once it was to tell us that we had to go to Quiche. Another time it was to tell us we weren’t allowed to leave the house. Then it was that we could work, but not travel... The weirdest one was when they called and said we had to go buy food to last us a week and then not leave the house until further notice. 30 minutes later....they called and said we could work but not travel again. It was hectic. All the rain has definitely done a lot of damage. There are a lot of landslides from here to our area. We passed one point this morning where there was just a huge hole in the road. That was rather strange. It rained for a straight 14 hours at one point too. That was intense haha. Really cool though.
A visit Thursday is what ruined everything for me. We visited a less active member in a small little place outside of Cunen. She wasn’t there when we got there though, so we had to wait a good while. As we waited, her daughter that was visiting gave us a couple oranges to enjoy. They tasted good, but came back to haunt me the next day. Friday morning when we woke up, my companion was feeling terrible. After lunch though, I basically died haha. I had strong desires to throw up. From the period of 5:30 until 10:30, I threw up 14 times. It was not pleasant and it was not fun. It was the first time I have thrown up in over 2 years... Didn’t enjoy myself. Saturday I felt just as terrible. Luckily didn’t throw up, but was in no way able to move from my bed due to pain and just straight weakness haha. It was horrible.
I was able to participate in our Activity we had Saturday night though, so that was good. We had more people showed up to the activity than to church. Frustrated me a bit haha. We had 40 at the activity and 37 at church. 6 non members at the activity. 1 at church. Why is that? The activity went well though. Everyone enjoyed themselves. I was in charge of the game Do You Love Your Neighbor. All of them loved it haha. It was pretty funny to be a part of.
Yesterday after church I got my haircut. A guy in our branch saw that I wasn’t looking/feeling very well Saturday night, so he offered to cut my hair the next day. He blamed my sickness from having long-ish hair haha. I let him cut it, even though he has had no training cutting hair. It went pretty good I think. It feels like my favorite haircut of the mission surprisingly. I really do hate cutting my hair here. I’m excited for a Becky haircut one of these days haha.
That was basically my week. Friday and Saturday is what made me completely miserable. Ruined my week... Luckily I’m feeling better. I do not plan on eating an orange in this country ever again though, nor do I recommend it to anyone.
Hope all continues to go well. I really hope Lindsey gets better. I’ll definitely be thinking about her throughout this week. Keep me updated on what happens with all that. Hope you all enjoy yourself. Especially the service project Saturday... haha. Sounds fun. President Bautista won’t be coming to work with us till next week now if he does, so we'll see what happens with that.
Anyways, take care everyone! I miss you all and love you all sooo very much :)
Love,
Elder Bitner
PS-Tell Brian hi:) haha

No comments:

Post a Comment