Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Email 29 November 2010

Hi friends and family from the lovely country of Guatemala!
Things have gotten a little better... but not much. We actually worked some this past week, which was nice. We found 8 new investigators. They each only have one lesson taught to them though, so it isn’t too positive right now. Our mission leader is making our first area map, so that should help. We dealt with the huge dog that tried to kill Elder Thatcher and me the last time we came in contact with it. My companion just kept whipping it with a stick when it came after him.
A little about the food. Last Monday, for dinner, I ate 2 raw eggs basically. Felt incredibly sick afterwards. They were disgusting. The daughter gave me a sticker for the back of my plaque though. She saw my collection that I had, so she wanted to add to it. That was cool :)
Thanksgiving! I know this is what everyone is truly interested about... haha. When I first woke up, I was a mess.. I was so sad and homesick. I couldn’t help but think about what everyone was doing back at home. Drink runs... Black Friday newspaper... Football... Big old feast.... I knew I was missing out. Especially since so many people were there. The day definitely got better over some time though. We played Bancopoly with the Elder of La Viña and drank some Coke to celebrate. One of them is a gringo, so he understands the holiday obviously. That was nice to reflect with him on it about how it went down back in the states. After about 2 hours of our game, we went to our lovely meal. We ate at the owner of Zumbas house. That was cool. He was a real estate guy back in the states until the economy fell. He lost millions of dollars he said... His house here is quite beautiful. Probably just because is American styled. Haha. It was nice seeing a building made of sheetrock rather than cinderblock. As we waited for the food, we got to listen to Taylor Swifts Christmas CD. Can’t even tell you how nice that was... I miss her voice. haha. I want that CD next year for Christmas. Anyways, the meal was great. Had all the usual stuff. Tried everything! Definitely something I wouldn’t do at home. I had... Turkey, dark turkey, stuffing, yams, green beans, veges (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), yams, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, 2 different types of jello, some weird beans, rolls, and good old lemonade. For dessert I had pumpkin pie, 2 cookies, and banana bread. Overall, it was so freaking good. haha. I want it again... There was not enough for seconds really though, so that was sad. Oh well though. All the Latinos hated the food. That was funny. hahah. They just all said it was very "rare" haha. They just played with fireworks the whole time. There were more than 40 Elders there though. A lot of work for the the man and his white wife. Very fun though :)
I had the priviledge of eating a homeade empañada or whatever it is. Sooo freaking good. Don’t get too jealous mom. The ones at Taco Bell are still decent tasting... haha.
On Saturday I talked my companion into waking up at 6 to go play basketball with the Elders of La Viña. That was a lot of fun. We woke up at 6 today to play soccer with them.
I have been spending a lot of time reading the book Our Search For Happiness. I love it... I think if everyone in the world were to read it, we wouldn’t get any crap for anything, and we would be the largest religion probably. haha. Maybe it will happen someday.
All is well here though. I have had a cold for the last week, so that has been rough. I hate runny noses. I’m going to send a Christmas package home tomorrow, if all goes as planned. Hopefully you guys will enjoy that. Takes about 2 weeks to get there. Anyways, the mission is good. I miss you all. I love you all as well! Remember to always be happy :) It is what makes life fun for us...
With much beautiful, sweet, and pure love,
Elder David R. Bitner

No comments:

Post a Comment